The Club holds a number of competitions throughout the year with trophies awarded to winners of the first prize. A trophy is also awarded to the most successful photographer in the Club during the competition season. All trophies are presented at the annual Presentation Evening and are held for one year. The Chairman also awards a trophy to his/her favourite image from the Club competitions.
Click the link for a pdf version of the camera club competition rules
1. Any member wishing to enter Club competitions must be a current Club member. They must obtain a Competition number from the Competition Secretary.
2. All entries must be the member’s original work. Entries must not contravene or infringe the existing copyright rules.
3. In each of the Club competitions (except the Landscape Trophy and Newcomer’s Cup – see Rules 9 and 10), a member may submit up to a maximum of six entries, with no more than three entries allowed in any one section.
4 An image, or similar image, may only be entered in one section in any of the Club competitions. Sections are:
(a) Colour Prints (b) Monochrome Prints (c) Projected Digital Images
For example, in the Annual Competition you could enter 3 colour prints, 1 monochrome print and 2 projected images to give a maximum of six entries; or alternatively 2 colour prints, 2 monochrome prints and 2 projected images.
5. Prints must be mounted, include a title and the Club member’s Competition Number. The maximum mount size is 40cm x 50cm.
6. Digital entries in the Club’s internal competitions must be submitted as jpeg files using sRGB colour space. However, the Club is not prescriptive about image dimension (in pixels) or size on disk (in megabytes). Our AV equipment projects at 1600 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high so we recommend that members wanting maximum control over the appearance of their images should supply at 1600 wide for landscape format or 1200 high for portrait format. Images smaller than 1600×1200 will have black borders added by the system to make up the shortfall in size and offer correspondingly less detail. Images larger than 1600×1200 will be automatically compressed to fit.
7. Digital images should be submitted either on a CD or USB stick (which will be returned) and members should create a new folder for each competition, with the folder name being your name followed by the competition name and date. For example:
Firstname Surname Summer Cup 2017, Firstname Surname Assignment 2018
Filenames must be a maximum of 40 characters and contain a title and your competition number. Please use a capital letter at the start of each title word and insert an underscore between the title and your competition number.
Example: Lytham Pier_123.jpg [where 123 is your competition number]
Your title will be briefly displayed on screen during competitions.
8. Summer Cup – Entries must be taken during any of the Club outings listed on the Summer Programme 2017 i.e. Liverpool (14th June), Lytham (19th July), Morecambe (16th August). Return visits to venues are NOT allowed. The competition will be held on 6th December 2017; entries should be submitted on 1st November 2017. Entries for this trophy can be either (a) Colour Prints; (b) Monochrome Prints or (c) Projected Digital Images. Editing and manipulation of images is allowed and a member may submit up to a maximum of six entries, with no more than three entries allowed in any one section. Please mark all entries for this section ‘Summer Cup’.
9. Landscape Competition – this is a projected image only competition to be held on 6th December 2017 (i.e. no prints) Landscapes may be taken anywhere in the world and may include city landscapes. Digital manipulation of images is allowed. A member may submit a maximum of three images and these should be submitted on 1st November 2017.
10. Newcomer’s Cup – this competition is open to any member who has not won a 1st prize in a previous Camera Club competition. This will be a Projected Image only competition on 6th December 2017 (ie no prints) . A member may submit a maximum of six entries and these should be submitted on 1st November 2017.
11. Portrait Competition – either Human or Animal portraits will be accepted (ie one human or one animal and not a group). Duplication of that same human or animal in one image (e.g. a reflection of the person or animal in a mirror) is acceptable. Images of statues, carvings etc are not allowed. Entries to be submitted on 13th December 2017 for the competition on 17th January 2018.
12. Assignment Competition – the subject for this year’s competition to be held on 17th January 2018 is ‘Textures’. Entries should be submitted on 13th December 2017. The subject for the Assignment competition in 2019 is ‘Street Photography’.
13 Annual Competition – Entries can be on any subject (except that no former first prize winning entries are eligible) and should be submitted on 7th February 2018 for the competition on 7th March 2018.
14. Photographer of the Year – A trophy is awarded annually to the most successful photographer in the Club competitions during the current competition year. The winner will be assessed by the following points system.
- 1st place – 5 points
- 2nd place – 4 points
- 3rd place – 3 points
- Highly Commended – 2 points
- Commended – 1 point
- Chairman’s Trophy – 5 points
- If only one member enters a competition, comments will be given by the judge and the trophy will be awarded and points given for 1st place only. That is, if a member submits three entries and is the only entrant in that section of the competition, 5 points will be awarded for 1st place and no points awarded for 2nd and 3rd place.
- All winning images will normally be displayed on the clubs website, but, at its discretion, the committee reserves the right to not publish images it deems to be inappropriate.